last update: 6/12/2016

Welcome to Accolagoons website

Greek natural environment and geomorphology is characterized by the marine coastal zone, where a variety of habitats and flora/fauna species appears. Due to this high ecological and socio-economical value, many human activities appear also in the coastal zone. These activities though put pressure into the natural environment.

Epanomi and Aggelochori lagoons are a part of this coastal zone. They are situated in the wider area at the east side of Thessaloniki city in Greece and are extremely important as they include habitat types listed in NATURA 2000 Network (92/43/ΕEC Directive). A large number of priority bird species and under water meadows of the protected plant species Posidonia oceanica characterize the area.

Acknowledging the high value of these sites, the LIFE project “Actions for the conservation of coastal habitats and significant avifauna species in NATURA 2000 network sites of Epanomi and Aggelochori Lagoons, Greece” mainly aims at their sustainable conservation and protection through an up-to-date and innovative planning of integrated management.

The project is implemented in the frame of  LIFE+ Nature and Biodiversity 2009. The total budget is € 1.639.770 with 75% of financing coming from Life Fund sources and the remaining 25% coming from national funds.

Map of Project's Area

NEWS & TENDERS

24/10/2016
VOLUNTARY LITTER COLLECTION END OF SUMMER 2016

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 a voluntary litter collection on the area of Epanomi
(entrance area south of the EOT camping site, drainage ditches and the area around them an
the beach area) took place.

24/10/2016
Photos of installed environmentally friendly moorings in Accolagoons coastal area.

View more...

Project Partners